Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Little Things

It feels like a month since I lasted made a post. 
Things are going really great in London.
I can't believe I have almost been here a full week. 
I am still missing home, but I am so thankful to be here. 
I have started to notice the little things that I miss.
They will seem very strange to people back home. 

Besides family and friends which I doubt I will ever stop missing.
I miss the small conveniences we have. 
First off, the prices. 
You would not believe how much it is over here. 
It blows my mind when I think about it. 
Plus there is living on a budget that makes it more terrifying. 
Gotta love being in college.

I also miss WalMart a ridiculous amount. 
They don't have stores like that. 
Since the city is so large and packed they don't have places where you can go get everything you need. 
Instead you walk to 3 or 4 different places to pick up everything. 
It's so weird. 
We have explained WalMart to them and they are baffled by that concept. 
I think I need to have a talk with WalMart execs. 

Then there's all the little weird food things that I miss. 
Wheat Thins. 
JIF peanut butter. 
Chef Boyardee Ravioli. 
PopTarts. 
My favorite cereals. 
Just weird little things, but I am finding different things to replace them temporarily. 

I miss manners. 
This may be the rural Midwest girl in me, but these people do not have our manners. 
They're not necessarily rude, okay some are. 
They just don't have the manners drilled into them like we do.
For instance, when someone sneezes they don't say bless you! 
Like what?
You do not do that back home. 
They also don't say excuse me when they bump into you or need to get past. 
They just barrel into you. 
I can't even count how many times I have been pushed or stepped on. 
I have almost had to bring out, as my flatmates call it "The Southern Girl" a couple times. 
Not my fault my parents taught me how to stand up for myself.
They could use a few lessons.  

Even though I miss all of these things I am still happy I came. 
I have experienced quite a bit in the past week and can't even imagine how I can discover more. 
There has been so much going on. 
I'm actually very ready to start classes and get settled into a routine. 
Next weekend we are going to Stonehenge and Bath and I am SO excited! 
You will all get the update from that wonderful day! 
Love you all! 

Until next time, 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment